Sunday, November 20, 2005

Yeah, I'm definitely back.

I can tell I'm back in NYC because I got locked out of my building for 20 minutes because the electronic lock the new owners put on sucks, and there's currently no heat or hot water. But I don't think it's enough to make me move to LA. I spent even more time there in friends cars than I ever thought I would, and there's only so many hours in a day. Still, the people are nice, and that's pretty important.
I didn't see everyone I wanted to, and the ones I did see were only for a few short hours. I blame myself for not having the foresight to plan a little better, but I got to eat dinner in a spaceship with Lydiaemily, and Jaime took me for some quality, inexpensive chicken. Both encounters just made me want to see more of them.
The wedding reception I went to LA for was very nice. Beautiful hotel. Great food. Great band. Swans. Hotel room destruction.
Disneyland is a place that I can't seem to form a concise opinion about. It seemed like a bit of a nightmare, but it just could have been the group I was with. (Nine people, including two small children, and a 60 year old paraplegic.) I was impressed with the artistic side of the rides. It all just looked so good. Even Pirates of the Caribbean, a long, slow boat ride, was actually kinda beautiful. And I can't even explain Space Mountain.
So then my hosts decided to drive me home. From LA to NYC. A newly married couple, their dog, and a newyorker without a drivers license. The major attractions along the way were; The Grand Canyon, White Sands NM, Graceland, and Sun Studios. All worth the trip in their own way.
The Grand Canyon is really big. Nothing you have ever read, no picture or film you've ever seen, no words I could say or write, could prepare you for that moment when you walk up to the first railing, and try to take it all in.
White Sands New Mexico is exactly what it sounds like; lots of white sand. Very beautiful. The mountain backdrop. The sunset. The solitude. It's also a missile testing area, and is occasionally closed to the public for obvious reasons. You have to drive a long, straight, flat road for about 70 miles to get there. The road is lined with barbed wire, and "keep out" signs, and ends with a checkpoint where a guard with sunglasses asks if you're all US citizens.
I had no idea what to expect when we went to Graceland. It's really just a big house from the 70s that got frozen in time. There are a lot of TVs. He had a lot of cool cars. He had an airplane that stylistically matched his house. He had a beautiful gun collection. He gave a lot to charity. He took care of his parents. They are all buried there. The grave markers had copyright symbols on them. They didn't let us upstairs. I assume that's where he died.
Sun Studios is where the first rock 'n' roll recordings were made. I try not to be sentimental about places, but I like being able to picture moments in history, and standing in that room brought it all together.
Still, all those sites don't compare to the people, and on top of spending time with the newlyweds, I got to see Amy and Paul in Austin. Wish we weren't just passing through. And I think you're my first friends who are having a boy. Can't wait to meet him.
So besides the fact that I'm now broke, and need to make some money so I can develop all the film, I also think it's time to get a driver's license. This is a beautiful country, and I want to see it all.
Anyone have a place for me to stay?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home