Friday, May 11, 2007

It's thursday.

People believe what you feed them. If you've built up enough credibility and good will, they will want to believe, and will rationalize away any inconsistencies.

I started the process of renewing my passport. It costs $67 to renew a passport. The guy behind the glass said it would take ten weeks. I asked how long the "expedited" option would take, and he said three weeks. An extra $60. So if you don't include that extra $60, your application sits around for a couple of months gathering government issued dust. This system makes no sense to me.

On my way back from the post office, Dawn and Frank pulled up in a red pickup truck. Dawn got out with the bottle of Miller she was drinking. Frank stayed in the truck because he was on the phone with his mom. He had a bottle too. We talked about jobs and the neighborhood until I was just about late for work. They seem like a right couple. And if they were cans instead of bottles, it would have been beautifully white trash. (Strip mall parking lot sold separately.)

What's with this new requirement that cabs have to have a video screen installed in the back seat? I can understand some car owner wanting to maybe sell some ad space and have tourism vids playing, but the city making it a requirement? So which investigative reporter would like to break this corruption story? Find the company that makes these screens, then find out who in city government that company threw a shitload of money at, and you will find the official who pushed this law through city council. There's got to be more important things for a governing body to do for its citizens.

A Balancing Act
A film by Marc Israel
I really liked it. I didn't think I would since, from the beginning, I figured I knew how it would end, and that end would have to be unsatisfying. Well, I was wrong. You ended it just right, and it didn't invalidate any themes involving the journey itself. I'm being understandably vague here. Of course a few seconds of Echoes of God, and a piñata reference help, and it was good to see you play drums. There's some great travel footage and cultural lessons, and Bangkok looks even more insane than I remember. Anyway, it'll give people something to talk about, and probably piss some people off as well. Too bad for them. Again, expertly pieced together, and always the perfect song. But, can you explain how it got to me with no postage on the envelope?

5 Comments:

Blogger Marc said...

"But, can you explain how it got to me with no postage on the envelope?"

i can't really tell you without giving away an old family secret - trick my great grandfather taught me. it involves injecting drugs, visualization & hypnosis. that's the easy part. the harder part is sneaking into a postal clerk's house at night to conduct these activities on him/her.

10:18 PM  
Blogger josh said...

You got a job at the post office, didn't you?

Seriously, there isn't even a postmark.

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

let's just say i gave a job at the post office...

12:39 AM  
Blogger josh said...

Good one.

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ehh, it was pretty amatuerish.

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home