Friday, August 07, 2009

We're just following ancient history. If I strip for you will you strip for me?

They're playing basketball again. It's 1am. There are no lights on in the playground. I'd have broken a finger, or gotten a ball to the face by now if I was out there. Can kids see in the dark now? Last night they had a dog with them that would not stop yapping the whole time. Cheerleader.
Happy birthday Hailey, Eileen, Gina, Joe, and, since it's after midnight, Cindy. Sent Eileen a card. Hope she didn't move.
Saturday night, after working the all metal tribute to Michael Jackson, I went by Megan's bar to catch up with her a bit. The DJ played "Strip" by Adam Ant. She was playing a lot of 80s stuff. I don't know the last time I heard that song, but it reminded me of the night, probably 1984, when a plan was enacted to order a pizza from Towne Pizza, go pick it up, then pick up Rachael and Anu, who were across the street from Towne at Anu's place, and take them home with me. We hung out in my basement, ate pizza, and watched Adam Ant on Saturday Night Live. He played "Strip." I think Rachael just ate the pepperoni she picked off the pizza. I kept an eye on them from my front door while they went back to Anu's place. She lived just up the block.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Clint.......Eastwood said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwcUVjcWjb0&feature=fvw


i still never quite comprehended what i comprehended as a vast difference in something RESEMBLING inventiveness/interestingness 'twixt "the ants" and adam, solo. am i alone on this? prolly...

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Prince Charming said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOiPe7t5S-k&feature=related


i've just spent an hour re-comprending the music career of a.a.

1) absolute power corrupts absolutely.
2) ant music makes me very antsy in my old age. give me dat ol' delta blues of mine back please suh.
3) once a pirate, twice a scoundrel
3) did you or did you not know that his drummer went on to culture club?
4) things could be worse. i could be adam ant, for example. which would require being even older and having to wear a goatee. https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=8998852&postID=8565888951739537112
(just get a whiff, then get some air)

7:25 PM  
Blogger josh said...

One his drummers was actually his producer, right? The one with the fake name.
I still think Kings of the Wild Frontier is a great record. Prince Charming was okay (that Picasso/planet of the apes song) but I could do without everything after that.
There's a video somewhere (maybe in your archives) of you, me, and George playing Ant Invasion. None of us look like Adam.

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Spaniard eating chocolate said...

you'll have to wikipedia the drummer/producer bit, sir. i have better things to do, like turn your viewers on to this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj-x9ygQEGA

i have the tape of us playing ant invasion amongst my personal belongings that are not strictly "mine" when i die. george looks like a young senator paul wellstone.

there's something seductive about that record you speak of. i RILLY liked it when i was young & surly & green. my theory, which i've advanced today, is that "adam and the ants" (antmusic) is kinda forgotten and not purchased, listened to, or any much canonized in the annals of at least any musical documents (or documentaries) i've come across recently....because "adam ant" eclipsed their fame & legacy, and then Time made adam ant's music wholly unimportant and rather embarrassing to even mention even in rowdy company. you're a braver man than i - to broach it on your blog. i'd sleep with one i open for awhile...

2:22 AM  
Anonymous Jolly Roger said...

for all that, the tomtom-driven african-rhythmed drummming, caribbean and marching band trumpet bits, and "western" & surf guitar licks all combined is rather wholly unique and, arguably, creative.

bow wow wow...!



but there ain't a love song to be found, so what's it all about, aflie?

2:47 AM  
Blogger josh said...

Wait, I thought they were all love songs.
Maybe that's why I'm single.

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Dirk Wears White Sox said...

hahaha!

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home