Wednesday, February 13, 2008

You're gonna need a bigger boat.

It's finally snowing in NYC. It'll turn to rain for a few days and make a big mess, but it was fun to walk around for a few minutes today while taking packages to the post office. It's not worth the time and effort to sell small things on ebay. I guess I had to prove that to myself.
I worked with a TV crew the other day, and after the shoot, talked turned to politics. One of them mentioned that some racist would end up shooting Obama, and a guy responded that that's why we need him in there, to change people's minds. I had to remind him, okay, not remind since he was too young to know what I was talking about, of the Happy Days episode when Richie has a party, but no one comes because the new drummer for the band is "colored." Even though The Fonz goes down to Arnold's and tells everyone to come, all the parents apparently forbid the kids from going. I remember Richie saying something like, "if I want to have a colored guy at my party, I'm gonna have a colored guy at my party!" When Fonzie can't understand why nobody came despite demanding everyone show up, Mr. Cunningham puts his arm around the Fonz and tells him that prejudice has been around a lot longer than "cool." I'm not sure if it was intended, but the message I came away with was that racist fucks are always going to be racist fucks, and no matter how many things you can fix with your coolness, you can't change prejudice. But the band played, and they had their little party anyway, just the handful of them.

Roy Scheider died a few days ago. Jaws is still one of my favorite movies. As Zach just posted, "you're in a bigger boat now, Roy"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home