Saturday, October 31, 2009

This band hurts my eyes.

I liked when the drums disappeared from the mix towards the end of the set, and I looked over and the sound guy had the guitar channel in the red, the L/R meters pegged, and the clip lights on the graphs lit. The limiters just shut it all down. Or when the show started and the guy nodded in approval and left the board to go help the video guy focus the projector. Kenny just shook his head, seeing that the guy didn't realize all the channels were still off, and turned all the channels on for the guy. Or when the guy running the DVD hit the wrong button and the "intense visuals" turned into the DVD player's logo ping-ponging around the screen.

The band before that one had their own lights. They were all about bright white back-lighting and strobes. My left eye started bothering me, and I texted Amy that the band was hurting my eyes. I asked if it was possible that watching a band could give me pink eye. She responded that anything's possible. The next morning, I woke up, and obviously had pink eye. Guess she was right.

That day was mostly spent waiting for my prescription eye drops to be ready. Spoke to my doctor around 10am, and then just waited. My increasingly rare days off have been filled with nothingness lately. By 7pm, still no prescription called in. I called my doctors private line hoping he might be working late. All I could do was leave a message. I went up to the medical building on 95th street that houses my doctor's office, and a very nice PA at the after-hours clinic checked me out, and gave me the piece of paper I needed. In all honesty, I didn't really need it. These things clear up on their own, but my doctor tends to be on the safer than sorry side of things, me having a chronic condition and all. There was only one other patient in the office, and she was clearly dying, or at least very sick. I got out of there before I caught something else.

The hours spent on this journey reminded me that it was halloween. Officially, halloween was the next night, but that's not how it works around here. It's usually the nearest weekend, plus the 31st. If the 31st is a wednesday, then halloween is eight or nine days long. But maybe I was just making assumptions about all these colorful people. Maybe that guy always wears a derby. Maybe that lady always wears a beaded thing on her head. Maybe those two guys always dress as a bumble bee and penguin. Maybe that really is Bert and Ernie. Maybe that couple is covered with feathers because it's cold outside. Maybe that monk is taking the L train back to his monastery. Maybe that's what H1N1 really looks like. Maybe those really are MTA employees.

My doctor called me from home the next morning, apologetic and embarrassed. It wasn't the first mix up in his office this week, and the person responsible needs to be moved to another position, possibly mopping floors. At first, I thought that he may be over reacting a bit, but what if this really was a serious problem? I could have certainly survived until monday, but not everybody can. He and I talked about medical computer systems, and how some pharmacies get the prescription directly from the doctor's computer when he puts it in the patient's file, bypassing the assistant that is supposed to call this stuff in. Nobody wants to pay for all this technology, so it's still years from being implemented. I can't wait, and clearly, neither can my doctor.

So what's my halloween costume tonight? Guy with pink eye. Try not to touch, nuzzle, or lick my left eye if you are at the show tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home