Wednesday, February 28, 2007

We step over the rats like they're cracks in the sidewalk.

Friday early evening, a well dressed man coming up from the subway was talking to himself. Something to the effect of, "Well alright. You made it through another workweek." That's what it comes down to for most of the world. Maybe not in exactly those terms. You can change "workweek" to any number of things: workday, weekend, famine, ambush, presidency, chronic disease flare-up, flight, round, tour, holiday season, lent, hurricane, war, show, romance, winter, summer, spring, fall, ...



I actually missed the lunar new year parade, but I really just wanted to see the staging area, and resting spot. I missed all that too. I went looking for dragons chasing bad things out of stores, but found only one, and for some reason, I was really cold. Colder than the ambient temperature. Cold radiated from the cameras in my hands. I decided to go buy boots. I heard there was a real snowstorm on the way, and $35 boots sounded like a good idea. Went back to the home neighborhood and ate a fantastic burrito while the snow outside my window picked up.

New boots, snow camera, film, gifts. There's this camera I've been trying to destroy by mainly using it in adverse conditions. An ex had it for a while. I loaned it to her, she said she'd buy it, she broke it, had it fixed for too much money, broke it again, bought a new camera for herself, and finally returned it when I asked for all my things back in that traditional return-each-other's-belongings ceremony that signals a significant end. I fixed the camera, but it was so physically beaten that its resale value was about five dollars, so I decided to use it to death. When it's out in the snow, some of the moving parts get a little sluggish, but it manages to hang on. Don't try to look for a parallel, because that relationship is far deader than the camera.

The snow itself was disappointing. Just a wet mess. Not the blanket of white and silence I hope for. Becca's birthday party was fun, and I hope she doesn't hurt anyone, or herself, with what I gave her. But I couldn't stay. I needed to get out in the weather. Wiped the cake off my hands and face, and moved on. I walked. I took pictures. I saw the club has a big "available" sign on it. I passed the old post-work grocery spot. I wound up taking pictures of a lot of trees, and eventually found Zach with Megan at her bar of employment once I realized the snow wasn't going to get any better. Still, taking pictures that I probably won't glance at more than once makes me feel better. I don't feel any pains, any problems, when staggering through the storm with only one thing on my mind. Made it through another snow. The camera's fine too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home