Monday, June 11, 2007

Did we miss D-Day?

I haven't heard a single D-Day tribute, remembrance, reenactment, or reference of any kind. And I listen to the radio all day.

This culture of life existing for the sole purpose of getting fucked up is getting to me a little. Especially when I get emails and see flyers for parties that say things like; "I haven't had a drink in three days so bring bail money, from 9pm til you pass out, bring an extra liver, etc." Let's learn how to be social with just our personalities, or lack there of. I'm pretty sure I'm just as boring drunk as I am sober.

I had to tell coworkers to stop using my previous place of employment as the main descriptor for me in introductions. It leads to questions that I don't want to answer. It's like introducing me; "this is Josh, he was in the Vietnam War." And then the person goes, "wow, that must have been really cool. What was your favorite ambushing?" Yeah, I have flashbacks that I play out in my head and get myself angry for no fucking reason. I still have nightmares, though less regularly than when I was in it. (note: I know that job doesn't really compare to any war, but anyone who's worked there is permanently damaged. Just look at the progress each of us made while there? It was just a big loss to what little life we have left. Okay, maybe it's just me.) A current coworker declared that she's not where she thought she'd be at this time in her life. (She just had a birthday.) I don't think I know anyone who is? If you are, please leave a comment to let me know. And if you were right about where you'd be, how much fun was it knowing exactly how it would go? Would you still watch that movie after someone gave away the end?

7 Comments:

Blogger J-Ho said...

I'm with you 100% on the boredom with drinking festivals. I'm not good in groups, either.
I never worked at CBGBs, but everything I know about it reminds me of this strip club I used to work at that we referred to as "the black hole". It had a way of sucking up nights, weeks, whole seasons. I still have dreams that I'm being called for "uptime", which was the stage cattle call at 8pm each evening. And I don't think I achieved much outside of the club while working there.
But, there are exceptions to the rule. Didn't Sara graduate from Columbia while working at CBs?
Let's meet in real life sometime.

12:51 PM  
Blogger josh said...

There was a period when Sara quit, and I thought she graduated then. I could be wrong. She's an exception to a lot of rules somehow.

I was just telling Megan about sitting in your kitchen eating bread. Megan loves bread.

4:10 PM  
Blogger anita said...

when I was 16 I was totally sure I would be dead before I turn 30. I am still alive, so, yes, I am not where I thought I would be at this time in my life, but I am positive that it is much better that way.

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for some reason i have trouble recalling the exact amount of time i worked there, and for that matter, when that span of time was.

i remember people, events, mysteries, having my wallet lost, the hate, the love... blah blah blah, i just cant remember the when.

i refer to times in my life prefaced with "when i worked at cb's..." but now cant recall exactly when that was, so that particular preface really means absolutely shit.

wtf.

having too many jobs can do that i think.

6:18 PM  
Blogger josh said...

I don't really know when you worked there either. And your dismissal was so bizarre, but it clearly brought better things for you.

Anita, I find it interesting you once thought that way considering you chose a career that took some long term planning. At some point you obviously changed your mind about an early death.

9:08 PM  
Blogger anita said...

well, looks like I didn't have the courage to lead the rock'n'roll life I dreamt of living. so I just did what I thought I was expected to do. with two academics as parents, that was obviously going to university to study something 'decent'.

in fact, I don't remember any long term planning. only now I start to really think about my future and I get the feeling that the career I 'chose' actually kinda sucks.

maybe I should have worked for cbgb's instead!;)

12:14 PM  
Blogger josh said...

The grass is always greener...
I'm not sure if courage is what it would have taken to live the Rock life, but I think it's pretty common for people to get where they were planning on going only to find they don't really like it there. You don't reach a certain age and are suddenly not allowed to evolve any more. You are allowed to keep looking. Plus, there are many more hours in a day outside of work when you can live the Rock 'n' Roll lifestyle. (Just not at CBGB.) I know you know that since I read about you going to shows.
I've given up trying to tie my work and what I really want to do.

12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home